There are many great tutorials to make subway art. The one I made was time consuming and the lettering isn't as precise as if the words were stenciled or vinyl.
But it has a humble, handmade look and was relatively inexpensive.
I had several ideas before settling on this method. I considered building the project on Photoshop and having it printed onto a canvas but didn't want to pay the price for a large one and I was limited to the size.
I also thought about painting the lettering onto a canvas but decided to purchase a pine board that we cut to a 13-inch x 35-inch rectangle.
I printed out the words as a Word document in two different fonts.
Using a paper cutter, I cut around each word and, after sanding, priming and spray painting the board, I positioned them in a pleasing way.
Using a stylist (seen on the lower left in photo above), I traced over the outline of each of the letters.
This was the hardest part of the project as I found it took a lot of pressure to leave an indentation in the board.
Each word was painted with white acrylic paint that I thinned just a little with water, using a thin paintbrush.
I sanded the edges of the board and some areas on the face as well.
A coat of sealer and a light wash of brown antiquing paint and a final coat of sealer finished the project.
I debated whether to drill of hole on the back, add a sawtooth hanger or add a hook to the top for hanging. I had a brass hook that I had saved from an old lamp. I thought the brass was too bright so I spray painted it black and screwed to the top of the board.