|A work of editable art! For the butterflies body, the recipe called for a candy stick which we did not have. A straw was our quick substitute.|
|Summertime fun making their own colorful butterfly cake with bright sugars and candy pieces.|
|Serious work going on here as well as the irresistible urge to lick ones finger|
Recipe from Betty Crocker booklet
Super Moist Cake Mix Recipes
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- Platter, tray or foil-covered cardboard (about 10x10 inches)
- Frosting and Decorations
- 1 container (1 lb) Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting
- 1 candy stick (8 to 10 inches long)
- Food color (in desired colors)
- Betty Crocker® decorating gel (from 0.68-oz tube) in any color
- Decorating sugar crystals (any color)
- 8 jelly beans
- Small round candy decorations
- Heat oven to 350°F (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Make and cool cake as directed on box for 2 (8- or 9-inch) round cake pans. Wrap and freeze 1 layer for a later use.
- Cut cake in half crosswise; cut each half into 1/3 and 2/3 pieces (as shown in diagram). Place cake pieces on platter to form butterfly. Gently separate cake pieces to form wings.
- Reserve 1/2 cup frosting. Frost cake pieces with remaining frosting. Place candy stick between cake pieces for butterfly body.
- Stir food color into reserved frosting until well blended. Spread over cake in desired pattern on wings. Outline wing patterns with gel. Sprinkle with sugar crystals. Place jelly beans on corners of wings. Decorate butterfly with candy decorations.