The recipe I made was the Streusel topped version and was full of locally grown berries.
Blueberry Struesel Muffins
From Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics by Ina GartenMakes 20 muffins
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups buttermilk, shaken
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (2 half-pints)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and blend with your hands. In an separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, butter, lemon zest, and eggs. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture with at fork, mixing just until blended. Fold the blueberries into the batter. Don’t over mix! With a standard (2 1/4 inch) ice cream scoop or large spoon, scoop the batter into the prepared cups, filling them almost full.
For the topping, place all the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and pulse until the butter is in very small pieces. Pour into a bowl and rub with your fingers until crumbly. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the streusel on top of each muffin.
Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.