Hot Cross Bun have long been a tradition for Good Friday and Easter Sunday with the icing cross on top to symbolize the crucifixion. Making these lightly sweetened buns is simplified by preparing the dough in a bread machine.
Hot Cross Buns
recipe from AllRecipes.comIngredients
- 3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon instant powdered milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I reduced the cinnamon to 3/4 tsp. and added 1/4 tsp. nutmeg & a dash of ground cloves)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Put warm water, butter, skim milk powder, 1/4 cup sugar, salt, egg, egg white, flour, and yeast in bread maker and start on dough program.
- When 5 minutes of kneading are left, add currants and cinnamon. Leave in machine till double.
- Punch down on floured surface, cover, and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape into 12 balls and place in a greased 9x12-inch pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place till double, about 35-40 minutes.
- Mix egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water. Brush on balls.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
- To make crosses: mix together confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and milk. Brush an X on each cooled bun.