Just Abbey, John and I ~ we enjoyed a late dinner together and watched
a Phantom of the Opera DVD.
A splendid and relaxing way to end the year.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (I used canned diced tomatoes)
- 1 (8 ounces) can tomato sauce
- 1 large zucchini, chopped or sliced (I used frozen spinach and added it with the tortellini)
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or water
- 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 10 oz cheese tortellini
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley or 1 tbsp dried
- salt and pepper
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- In a large soup pot, crumble the sausage and cook until no longer pink.
- Drain sausage on paper towels, and remove most of the drippings from the pot.
- Add onion and garlic to the pot.
- Saute until translucent.
- Return sausage to pot, then add broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, carrot, bell pepper, wine, basil, and oregano.
- Simmer for about 40 minutes to one hour.
- Add tortellini and cook until tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with parmesan cheese.