1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin 1 cup boiling water 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce 3 tablespoons lemon juice 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream 1/2 cup chopped pecans
In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water.
Drain pineapple, setting the pineapple aside and adding juice to gelatin. Stir in cranberry sauce, lemon juice, peel and nutmeg. Chill until mixture thickens. Fold in sour cream, pineapple and pecans. Pour into a glass serving bowl or an oiled 9-cup mold. Chill until set, at least 2 hours.
Yield: 16-20 servings.
NOTE: I divided the mousse and poured into two molds measuring 6-inched across the top so I could place one at each end of the table.
Busy days have kept me from the computer the past six weeks when I began this project.
I finally got it finished just in time for lighting up our Thanksgiving table.
I have lots of plans for this centerpiece.
This week it is decorated with hues of autumn.
Soon it will be filled with pine greenery or other Christmas themed accents.
Best of all, it was built using re-purposed glass globes from an old chandelier, wood salvaged from a large television cabinet we no longer needed, (more on how we used the cabinet pieces in another post) and the purchase of just a few other supplies.
For a streamline or contemporary look, I can use it without any flowers.
This is what we did:
I had six glass globes and considered making a three-candle centerpiece for the kitchen table. Instead we made a five-candle one that can also be used on the family room coffee table and the dining room table. The glass globes are open on the bottom. We could have just glued them onto the wood but I wanted something to raise them up a bit and hold them securely. I looked for some type of ring and found just the right size wooden round boxes at the craft store for $1 each. I thought about using only the bottom but decided to invert the lid and cut down the other piece to our desired height.
We cut and screwed a piece of wool to some salvaged trim work. The wooden cups were also screwed into place.
After filling any gaps/holes with wood filler and sanding the piece, I gave it a coat of stain.
A day later it was ready for a coat of polyurethane to finish.
The globes fit nicely inside the cups and each one holds a round-shaped candle.
You may remember a few years ago, I used the same glass globes as flower pots.